Newport stretch background

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Armoire Adventure ~ Milk paint versus Chalk paint

I found a wonderful armoire while junking with friends, a smaller one with a little more curves and detail (and it was lined with cedar inside).  I couldn’t decide what to paint it, so it sat for a few weeks.  Then I thought I’d like to paint it using both milk and Annie Sloan chalk paints – comparing the two.  I had only used milk paint in the pre-mixed form and didn’t like it as well as chalk paint – because it was very clumpy and just didn’t cover as well.  So I decided to try the powdered form and see how it worked.  And of course, I didn’t take a pic of the armoire before any prep, only in progress ones.
armoire whole
The armoire was a darker mahogany color.  I had originally planned on painting it with ASCP white and distressing it – so I did use a white primer all over so I would use less chalk paint – but I didn’t sand at all for the pre-painting.  After that, I started painting using the detailed sections of the armoire.  Since I knew I was going to distress and dark wax it, I didn’t try too hard to stay in the lines.  The green/blue color is sea green milk paint, and the red and cream are chalk paints – emperor’s silk and old white, and I used both clear and dark waxes.  I also used gold gilding paste for highlights.
2012-12-16_07-58-24_978
I painted the milk paint on first.  I used a dry pint of sea green (which is a blue green after dark wax) and mixed it in a one to one ratio, because I wanted it to be similar in consistency to the chalk paint.  Using a whisk and gladware plastic bowl, the milk paint came together quite easily but didn’t seem to make very much, but I didn’t need much for this piece. After about an hour, I noticed the paint started to have a faint ammonia-like smell – I don’t know what kind of reaction was taking place?!  It seemed to cover as well as the chalk paint – at first…
2012-12-16_07-58-31_370 2012-12-16_09-18-56_245 2012-12-16_09-19-04_871
I tried to save money and didn’t use the extra bond for the milk paint…and it started to crackle and peel as it dried.  I don’t know if it was because I mixed it thicker or because I didn’t use the bond.  I would have loved this if I had used a primer that was any color other than super white!!  After I used the dark wax all over, the white spots really stood out.  I kept repainting the peeling sections, but it just kept peeling, so I gave up and used dark wax on the white spots.
crackle and peel
I did have a challenge with the chalk paint too.  As I was waxing the red chalk paint, I had to be very careful not to brush over into any lighter sections – when I did, I got a lovely pink color (which on another project might be ok!).  After I waxed the armoire with clear then dark wax (brushing it heavier in some areas), I rubbed the edges with gold gilding paste.  If I used too much, I just sanded a little off with a sanding sponge.  I think it really turned out nice.  It reminded me of the colors in the union jack chest I painted last year.
 armoire whole
2012-12-16_21-09-34_97
armoire top 2
armoire top 1 all paint close up
2012-12-16_21-10-07_171
2012-12-16_21-09-34_97
So there’s my comparison of milk and chalk paint.  I think if I was painting the armoire entirely with milk paint, the price comparison would be pretty close to a quart of chalk paint (after having to purchase the extra bond and enough dry paint to mix to a quart).  And this armoire is now available for purchase at the Gaslamp Antique & Decorating Mall in Nashville, TN.
Thanks for checking out my blog!  Let me know what you think and your experience with either milk or chalk paint.
Jennifer blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! If you have questions please ask - I'm still learning, but will share what I know. Thanks for visiting and again I appreciate your feedback. And please follow me!!