Newport stretch background

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Weekend Projects

What a great weekend it’s been so far!  I hope everyone has been enjoying their time and have thanked those who served or are serving our country.  Thank you!

I have been busy with my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint working on a very rustic trunk my dad found at a junk store.  I forgot to take a totally before pic of the trunk, but I think you get the idea.  Very rough shape, but made very sturdy – wood with metal trim covered in some kind of fabric.  I thought about painting it Olive, but it was just too dark & drab…

IMG_20110528_120553

So I decided to try Paris Gray…I painted it outside (early in the morning), so i had to work quickly.  The paint was drying very fast, but it covers so well, i didn’t do ANY prep. 

IMG_20110528_120627

It was a little boring with only Paris Gray, so I dry brushed it with Old White…Love it!  The pic doesn’t show as much of the dry brush detail, but you can see it on the close ups.

IMG_20110529_102349

What do you think?  I didn’t totally cover the Olive color, so it’s peeking out on the metal trim.  I still need to either wax it or spray with Poly…but I’m really happy with it.

IMG_20110529_102429

IMG_20110529_161947

IMG_20110529_155752

IMG_20110529_161942

I also finished a silver tray that I had sprayed pink (Oops paint from Home Depot).  It was way beyond any polishing, so I wanted to try something different with it.  I stenciled it with Paris Gray, distressed it a little, and added some Annie Sloan clear and dark wax.  Looks pretty good.  Sorry, no before pics.

IMG_20110529_102240

IMG_20110529_102300

And here’s another finished chalkboard made from a mirror (doggie condo in the background).  Love it too!

IMG_20110529_095354

Thanks for checking out my blog! 

Jenn

15 comments:

  1. I use the chalk paint all the time now. I would definitely wax it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your trunk turned out. I have a few of these out in the shed...perhaps your inspiring tips will get me moving!
    Love your blog...wish I lived closer to take a peek in your booth space...
    I will follow along to see what else you come up with...have a great day!
    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I need to get some of that chalk paint! It really does what it says it can do, huh?
    Thank you for following my blog.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that trunk! We need to get together and go junkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Deneen! Sheila you will love the paint - i promise!! Thanks Laura, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your blog on MMS and liked the name so I came over for a visit. Love what you did to your trunk and you have Chalk Paint! We are going to do a road trip to Tampa real soon to get some. Good job with your blog!
    Come over and check out my booth...
    Enjoy your day~Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I gotta love that trunk. I have one that has been sitting in my garage, apparently in my Hubs way because he keeps asking if he can put in out with the trash. NO, are you freakin' kidding me I have great plans for that trunk. You have given me the inspiration I need to get started on it. Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the trunk, and the tray, they came out beautiful. I love the white over the gray. I joined your blog, please join mine, I make some lovely vintage door knobs for the furniture.
    thanks,
    martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wax make ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I use the Fiddles and Sons and get a beautiful finish with the chalk paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so charming it's is pretty chalk paint! You did a great job on it! Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked up a trunk very much like this one recently and I'm trying to semi restore it. The fabric on yours is probably canvas- mine doesn't have canvas on the outside, just a coat of old paint over the metal and strips of wood. This semi restore is taking FORever- I'm thinking chalk paint may be the answer for some parts of it- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way the trunk turned out the tray and chalkboard are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an old trunk, very similiar, and about in the same shape as this one. It may be a little larger. I still haven't made up my mind if I will paint it, or just clean it up. I am going to use it in my Junktique store to display old quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! If you have questions please ask - I'm still learning, but will share what I know. Thanks for visiting and again I appreciate your feedback. And please follow me!!