Newport stretch background

Friday, December 9, 2011

Neo-classical gilded table

After seeing some of Annie Sloan’s creations in her book Creating the French Look..I had to try the neo-classical gilded table.  I had a Duncan Phyfe table that was beautiful but had lots of small scratches, so it was going to be the guinea pig for this creation.
Here’s Annie’s creation….
 Annie 2
And here’s mine…I love it! 
dp at gaslamp
Using Paris Grey, clear & dark wax, and gold composite leafing – I attempted this project.  This was my first time working with gold leafing…and it took lots of patience!  It was really fun and somewhat easy – but you really do have to go slow in applying the leafing and wait until the set fix is tacky.  When I tried to rush, I tended to bunch the strips or tear the gold sheets (purchase with a 40% off coupon from Michaels).  It took about one package.  I cut the sheets into strips that were about 1 1/2 inches wide to make it easier to fix to the table.  If there was a place that gold wouldn’t adhere, I just applied a little more set fix and used a scrap piece and put it on with my finger tip.  You will get small pieces of gold leafing EVERYWHERE as you are brushing it on…I did this in my kitchen and for weeks after found small gold shiny pieces.  After painting and applying the gold leafing, I waxed the table with clear, then distressed it with dark wax.  The dark wax give the Paris Grey a bluish tint. 
 gold leafing packagegold leaf measure
gold leaf fix application gold leaf fixative app2
gold leaf actual app  gold leaf
The pictures don’t do the table justice.  It really looks much better in person.  The dark wax doesn’t show up as blotchy as it does in these pictures.  Sorry!
final dp
final dp2
dp at gaslamp 2    
Second Attempt with Modifications:  I really loved the first table I created, sold it right away, so decided to try another one, but wanted to try and make it easier.  I painted a second table mixing 1/2 and 1/2 of Paris Grey and Old White to make a lighter grey so when i applied the dark wax it wouldn’t look so dark and have the blue tint. 
 Second DP  
Second taping
On this table, I thought I’d try some gilding wax versus the gold leafing – because I was lazy!  I taped off a 1 1/2 inch border and used my finger to apply the gilding wax.  It was much easier than the leafing, although not as shiny, I think it looks just as good.
Second gold wax 
When I distressed it with the dark wax, I mixed about 2 teaspoons of the clear wax with about a 1/4 of a teaspoon of the dark wax and it wasn’t as dark or blue. 
Second gold & dk wax
Second final2
Second final dk wax 
As always, thanks for reading my blog and I hope I shared some tips that will help you.  Thanks!! 

Jennifer blog signature
This project was linked with the following parties:
http://missmustardseed.com/2011/12/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-link-party/
http://www.iheartnaptime.net/2011/12/sundae-scoop-link-party-11/
http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/12/trash-2-treasure-tuesdays-10.html
{primp} at http://micheleravendesigns.blogspot.com/2011/12/primp-your-stuff-wednesday-linky-party_13.html

2 comments:

  1. Poo Jennifer I can't wait to see this! Your gonna have to help me with my farm table! Great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, way to go! I haven't seen anything like it before - looks just like the pic in the magazine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! If you have questions please ask - I'm still learning, but will share what I know. Thanks for visiting and again I appreciate your feedback. And please follow me!!